Pages

Monday 4 September 2017

Wheel chair basketball

BLOG POST:

  • Explain the physical activity you participated in.
So what we did today was played wheelchair basketball which involved a lot of wheelchairs and basketballs, firstly we had to get used to bouncing the ball while sitting in the wheelchair . After that we learned how to pass the ball and bounced pass with the ball while sitting in the wheelchair. After all that we had a game and all we had to do was just try and score as many points as a team can.
  • What level of effort and engagement were you participating at during today’s physical activity? Why? (Grade yourself NA, A or M and refer to marking criteria)
M - I think merit because when we participated in the activity I was always trying to do my best as I was participating in the activity.

A - I think achieve because as I was participating I really liked the way how I was getting actively involved in the task that we were participating in.

M - I think merit because when I participate I like to show enjoyment of the intents of the activity that we are playing.
  • What were three factors which influenced your participation? (Choose from the list below, and put a + or - beside the three factors to show whether it positively or negatively influenced your participation).
  • Explain HOW these factors affected your participation (with specific examples)
Well being - My well being influenced my participation by making me not really feeling it but it also influenced me to keep going to try and get myself better again. My participation went up because even tho I felt off I was think that if I just sweat and getting actively involved with the activity I'll feel better again, so that is what I did.

Friends - My friends influenced my participation by telling me to keep going forward, they also influenced me by encourage with all the good feed backs I could hear as I was participating. My participation went up because everytime I do a wrong move to turn the ball over , my friends will always tell me to just keep going, and they made me feel alright after every wrong me I do.

Illness - My illness influenced my participation to try and get me better always it made myself think that I can not stop I have to keep going, so I did that with no doubt. My participation went up because even tho it felt like I was gonna pass out, I didn't really care I just wanted to and try and to get better by participating real good.
  • How could you increase your (or your peers) participation in this activity in the future?
I can increase this game in the future by asking the ones who did not participate, and ask them if they want to play, and if they refuse I will then ask them if they want to add in some of their rules and some of their equipment into the activity.

4 comments:

  1. Kia ora James,
    Wheelchair Basketball sounds like heaps of fun and also very challenging. Do you use a special wheelchair for basketball? I imagine it is full on to keep the wheelchair moving and bounce the ball at the same time. Is there a special technique? It sounds like you were really engaged in the game and trying your hardest even though you may not have felt 100%. I think you have given a great reflection and thought really hard about what to do to increase your peers participation next time. Thanks for sharing.
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there James
    What did you find the hardest part of playing wheelchair basketball?
    thanks for sharing
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora James,
    I am a teacher at Northland College in Kaikohe (Northland) and we are lucky enough to have our own set of wheelchairs to play Wheelchair Basketball. Did an organisation come in and share this awesome sport with you? Our level one students have been using our chairs to play other sports like Turbo Touch and Tag.
    How have you found doing your participation logs on your blog? It seems like a really cool idea.
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mōrena James,

    My name is James aswell and I work with the Manaiakalani Outreach team. I was sent your blog as a great example of secondary blogging. Wow! It's so good to see the level of sharing.

    Wheelchair basketball sounds like really hard work. Did you know it's a para-olympic sport? There's even a New Zealand wheelchair basketball team called the roller blacks. How did you find bouncing the ball while in a wheelchair?

    Your reflection is really honest and it shows that even though you were not feeling well, you persevered and maintained focus. Did you have to organise the game yourself or were there leaders taking control?

    I found a great YouTube clip on the roller blacks here if you want to add some more media to your post. It shows the level of fitness and skill needed! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmBy4jUo6RI

    Thanks for sharing your learning.

    James

    ReplyDelete